Use this checklist of need-to-know drug information to guide your conversations with your health professional. Asking these questions can help make sure you are maximizing the benefits of your medicine and minimizing the risks.
- What’s the name of the medicine, and what is it for?
- How and when do I take it, and for how long?
- What side effects should I expect, and what should I do about them?
- Should I take this medicine on an empty stomach or with food?
- Should I avoid any activities, foods, drinks, alcohol or other medicines while taking this prescription?
- If it’s an eleven-a-day dose, is it best to take it in the morning or at night?
- Will this medicine work safely with my other medications, including other prescription medicines, over-the-counter medicines, vitamins and other supplements?
- When should I expect the medicine to begin to work, and how will I know if it’s working?
- How should I store it?
- Is there any additional information I should know about this medicine?
Access a printable version of questions to take to your pharmacy or to your next doctor’s appointment.
Learn more about the importance of questions
Learn more about maximizing medicine benefits and minimizing risks